Home

The National Opera House from Timisoara, Romania is a cultural public institution subordinated to the Ministry of Culture, his activity being held on annual artistic seasons, performing opera, operetta, ballet and opera for children performances, at home as well abroad.

The National Opera House from Timisoara was establishing through Royal Decree no. 254/31st of March, 1946. The very first manager was Aca de Barbu.

Timisoara was and it is in the present as well, the most dynamic cultural centre from the western part of Romania, the favourite geographical settlement, at the confluence of Central and East of Europa, offers a large opening on cultural aspects. Situated at 700 km away from the 13 Europeans capitals, Timisoara had over time a continuous connection to the values of the continent cultures. Also, the population of this area multi-ethnic and multicultural, belonging to various ethnicities and religions, make from Timisoara a model of European civilization.

Since the end of the 18th century, in Timisoara were played frequently opera seasons with a varied repertoire, with nothing lower than in major European cities, many of which presented here immediately after their absolute premieres.

The construction of the Opera began in 1871, after the plans of the Viennese architects Hermann Helmer and Ferdinand Fellner (builders of many theatres in Europe), was completed in 1875. Two major fires have ravaged the building, first in 1888 and the second in 1920, remaining intact only the marginal wings of the building. Reconstruction from the 1928 was made under the plans of Duiliu Marcu on a different architectural style: Romanian New-Byzantine.

In this building, four cultural institution have their headquarter and sustain annual seasons, in this very unique way: besides the National Opera House, the National Theatre "Mihai Eminescu", German Theatre and the Hungarian Theatre "Csiky Gergely", in three different languages.

After 1945, when the Opera House from Cluj-Napoca exiled at Timisoara due to the Vienna Dictate, could return to the native city, Timisoara was unimaginable without an opera house. So, at 30th of March, 1946 the institution was establish and in 27th of April, 1947, the first performance was presented: Giuseppe Verdi’s ’’Aida’’. It was noted as an unforgettable high artistic performance, a triumph of Romanian performing arts. After years, on the initiative of the great musicians, conductors Nicolae Boboc and Ion Românu, in the 1968-1969 season, take place, the first edition of the Festival "Timișoara Muzicală", thought to be an event of the year, a manifestation of excellent act of culture. After the sixth edition, the festival gets annually, and in 1993 will receive an international character, preserved until today.

The second festival held in Timisoara by the National Opera House is the Festival of Opera and Operetta (in open air), extremely popular event, that takes place annually at the end of August, split in two weekends, offering free to the public, the most beautiful performances from the repertoire of the institution.

The artistic tours, undertaken in the country and abroad met both public appreciation and the critics in most European countries (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Switzerland, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain), as well in countries like: India and Qatar.

On 24th of September, 2004, the Opera House from Timisoara received the title of National Opera House, as recognition of his special merits, for all hard work in the service of Romanian art and culture in the country and abroad.

Another major event recorded in the history of this institution it belongs to the politics. The Romanian Revolution of December 1989, started at Timisoara, began and developed in the building of the Opera House; the balcony of this building became the Romanian Revolution Balcony, as a symbol of people freedom, the image of this balcony rounded the world.

Home
The National Opera House from Timisoara, Romania is a cultural public institution subordinated to the Ministry of Culture, his activity being held on annual artistic seasons, performing opera, operetta, ballet and opera for children performances, at home as well abroad.  The National Opera House from Timisoara was establishing through Royal Decree no. 254/31st of March, 1946. The very first manager was Aca de Barbu.

News and events
22 AUG
Partners
Address Strada / street Marasesti 2, 300086, Timisoara
Cashier Phone 0256 20 12 86
Email bileteoperatimisoara@yahoo.com ort@artelecom.net
Newsletter
Add your email address!
Copyright © 2019 Opera Nationala Romana Timisoara
Web design by Royalty